Re: Europa-List: Anyone considered a ULPOWER UL260i engine

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Anyone considered a ULPOWER UL260i engine
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 16:51:55

On 05/11/2010 03:31 PM, MalcolmH wrote:

> So, has anyone else considered fitting one of these engines and if so
> what were the stumbling blocks that prevented you from going ahead.

What about fuel consumption?
Compared to the Rotax the combustion chamber is twice as large, and the
RPM is about half of that of the Rotax. Bigger lower revving engines
usually consume more fuel (Compare old style American cars to European
cars).

I found it worrying that on the ulpower site there are even figures for
alternator performance, but not for fuel consumption... Their FAQ seems
to be targetted against Rotax (why not watercooling? why no hydraulic
valve lifters?), but not a single word is spoken about fuel consumption...

With only 50% more fuel consumption than the Rotax, not only operational
costs increases substantially, but the endurance of the Europa decreases
to about two hours, severely limiting flying operation.

So, an answer on the fuel consumption of this engine would be my top
priority, before even looking more closely to the engine.

Frans