Re: Europa-List: Anyone considered a ULPOWER UL260i engine

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Anyone considered a ULPOWER UL260i engine
From: Jan de Jong <jandejong@casema.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 19:43:00

Hi Malcolm,

I studied the drawings a while ago and compared to Rotax. I also visited
the Ulpower stand at Aero Friedrichshafen.
Items:
1.
- used as is with standard exhaust and standard muffler with cabin heat
shroud the engine CofG will be a little forward of that of Rotax 914
- plane of propeller about the same
2.
- I would prefer engine between footwells (port rear cylinder just ahead
of port footwell), but then standard muffler in the way
- extended prop flange is a standard option
- custom exhaust system modification required to put muffler below
instead of behind rear of sump (or go to a 2-muffler system like C152
perhaps)
- ulpower do engine mounts (you supply measurements and money)
4.
- new cowling required providing for cylinder head cooling and oil cooling
5.
- the S-models need premium fuel
- I would consider 350i (regular fuel) while  planning not to exceed
2900rpm /115hp
6.
- which light weight prop for relatively large 4-cylinder direct drive?
- Ulpower have tested Airmaster/Warp on (I believe) 350iS on the ground
A commonly accepted Europa installation would be nice.
Sofar I am still leaning to carburetors, water cooling and gearbox.

Regards,
Jan de Jong

MalcolmH wrote:

> After visiting Alec Janaway to buy a s/h mono trailer he demonstrated his
> UL260i
engine which he has fitted to his Escapade a very fine engine it appears as
well. More details can be found here:

> http://www.ulpower.com/
>
> Vaughn Teegarden from the US is in the process of fitting one but there is no
information on the above sight.

> They seem a very good engine option, neater and easier to install than the
> Rotax
and prices seem comparable.

> So, has anyone else considered fitting one of these engines and if so what
> were
the stumbling blocks that prevented you from going ahead.

> I've contacted the factory regarding engine mounts and cowlings and was not
> able
to speak to anyone with any technical authority and still waiting for a response
(whats going on there?)