Europa-List: Overvoltage problem with regulator

Subject: Europa-List: Overvoltage problem with regulator
From: Keith Hickling <keithhickling@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 20:31:55
Hello all,

After all the discussion about lack of charging, I have just developed
an
overvoltage problem after 100 hrs. The regulator has functioned fine
until
tle last couple of flights, when I noticed that the voltmeter was
flicking
up and down once or twice a second around a mean of about 13 volts. Then

today just before shutting the engine down, I noticed it was reading 16
- 17
volts on idle, and when I increased to 300 rpm it went up to 18 volts,
with
the battery ammeter showing a small charge (half amp). So I suut the
engine
down and looked under the cowl, and superficially all looked well with
the
regulator and wiring. I didn't have a voltmeter with me, but will check
the
connections tomorrow.

The regulator is wired as on the Europa diagramme, with the R, B+ and C
leads all connected together and to the + terminal of the capacitor, and

through the 30 amp fuse to the main bus via an alternator output switch.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions / comments from the pundits -
does
this have to be a regulator problem, or can any wiring or connection
issues
cause this problem? I'll check that I have battery voltage at the C
terminal
tomorrow, but the connections looked fine.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Keith Hickling,
New Zealand.
Kit 613, 912 uls.