Re: Europa-List: PH-DIY first flight!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: PH-DIY first flight!
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:00:28

On 04/26/2010 12:38 AM, GRAHAM SINGLETON wrote:
> Frans
> a Gurney flap is a neater alternative to a trim tab.

I had to look up what this is. What I found is that it is similar to a
regular tab, but then with the "tab" sticking out at a 90 degree angle?
What is the advantage of this?

> A short length of
> draft excluder stuck on one side of the trailing edge will work just as
> well as an ugly tab. Just like the elevator trim tab but one side only.

But this is called a Flettner strip, is that right?

That could indeed work as well.

Apart from the ugliness factor, which solution produces the least amount
of drag?

Frans