Re: Europa-List: PH-DIY first flight!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: PH-DIY first flight!
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 22:26:26

On 04/20/2010 10:47 PM, acrojim@cfl.rr.com wrote:

> Frans; The first thing that comes to mind, about having to hold right rudder.
Did you shim the engine in the engine mount to the "right" when  installing the
engine...

We did, but I'm going to measure again to see if nothing has moved.

If looking from behind the airplane, the upper right side of the fin is
somewhat more visible than the left side. It seems like there is a very
slight twist in the fin. I can't see how we could have prevented this,
it appears the moulding was this way (and I remember that it has been
mentioned on this forum by other people as well).
This may be the reason we need to apply a bit of right rudder.
Privately, some people have mailed me that they had to fit a small
rudder trim tab as well, so it seems not to be something totally uncommon.

Frans