Re: Europa-List: Re: Instrument module cooling/demisting fans.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Instrument module cooling/demisting fans.
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 01:06:12

On 04/23/2010 06:39 PM, rparigoris wrote:

> Hi Ira Thx. for the reply. How are you cooling your radio,
> transponder and EFIS?

Instrument cooling????
My Garmin SL-30 consumes less than 1 Amp max during receive. If it were
to convert this current totally into heat (efficiency zero), it could
only produce 14 Watts of heat.
My transponder consumes approximately 250mA. With this current it can
not produce more than 3 Watts of heat (again with a worst case
efficiency of 0). That's about the same as an annunciater light, and
that doesn't need cooling either.  I have no EFIS, but if such a beast
is not a powerhog, it can not produce much heat as well.
Modern avionics is very efficient and does't produce as much heat as the
older style equipment, and hence doesn't need cooling at all.
Have you actually tested how much "heat" your equipment produces?
If there is no heat production in the instrument module, there is no
need to remove it. ;-)

Frans