Europa-List: Rotax carb choke problem

Subject: Europa-List: Rotax carb choke problem
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:22:02

Gentlemen,

Recently, after a few months of winter inactivity, the starboard carb
was flooding. I took the carb out, cleaned the bowl and float valve, and
put the carb back in. Problem solved.

Except... I have cold start issues since then. It appears that the choke
of this carb is since this time no longer working. At a cold start, the
engine appears to run on two cylinders for a while (confirmed by the
EGT: only cylinders 2 and 4 produce heat), and if I manage to get the
engine running without choke so I can throttle up, then cylinders 1 and
3 finally join the party.

After that, the engine runs normally. I just checked the carb balancing
(mechanically and pneumatically) and the setup is perfect. The carbs
open and close at the same time, and manifold pressures of both
manifolds is perfectly equal. Starting if the engine is somewhat warm
(without choke) is perfect as well.

The problem is definitely choke related: it appears to me that the choke
is not working at all.
(And yes, the choke cable is attached, and confirmed to fully open the
choke if I pull the knob).

Before I go through a time consuming trouble shooting and disassembly of
the carb, has anyone an idea what this can be? The problem started when
I disassembled the carb, but I haven't messed with the choke or any
inards above the float bowl.

Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks,
Frans