Europa-List: 914 Fuel Flow

Subject: Europa-List: 914 Fuel Flow
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 09:53:30

We are finally starting to fly cross country and use cruise power settings. We
have a 914 with intercooler and Airmaster constant speed prop in our Europa.
When
using 75% power per section 10.1.1.1 (5000 rpm 31 in Hg) we see fuel flow
of 7.5 gph. Our EGTs are about 1450. The spark plugs have a nice tan color to
them. The fuel consumption graph (fig. 11) suggests fuel flow should be about
5.5 gph.

If we throttle back to 5000 rpm, 29 in Hg, fuel flow drops to 6 gph. Not sure
where
this setting puts us on the consumption graph!

What fuel flow do others see? What power settings do others use?

Is our mixture too rich and is that adjusted by changing the position of the
needles
in the carbs? Dean at Lockwood said don't change anything, mostly because
the plug colors are correct.

Thanks

Jim & Heather
N241BW