Europa-List: Weight reduction - Brake Discs

Subject: Europa-List: Weight reduction - Brake Discs
From: jglazener <j.glazener@planet.nl>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:09:10

In the latest issue of Kitplanes magazine, on page 14, an example is given of
drilling
holes in the brake disc to save weight. Does anyone know whether this
is possible / advisable / plain stupid on the Europa?

On the subject, a great sage at Boeing once told me that the best aviation
manufacturers
are the ones who were best at making holes, ie saving weight that way.
Having worked in helicopters I remember we were looking for grams on a
helicopter
that weighed many tons. I know I am constantly on the lookout, even for
little things like shaving off bolts that are too long. Is there anyone who
has compiled a list of clever things that you can do on a Europa in this regard?

Jeroen G

Read this topic online here: