Re: Europa-List: outrigger wheels

Subject: Re: Europa-List: outrigger wheels
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:00:22

On Mar 31, 2010, at 11:51 AM, Robert Hatton wrote:

> I know this is an old thread, but did you go with these wheels and
> if so, what did you think?

Rob,

No I did not...as w/ so many aspects of our passion, there is a whole
world, if not a universe, to be explored w/ respect to wheels and
bearings, in particular the distinction between bearing types (seems
there are varying grades of "precision").

I ended up with the following, purchased online at www.skates.com:

2 - 100 mm inline skate wheels w/ ABEC 5 bearings (installed); these
wheels, weighing 0.6 pounds each, somewhat harder (82 durometer) than
the Colson wheels (65 durometer) but resilient nonetheless, are fine
silent spinners, noticeably quieter, and much easier to spin up, much
longer running than wheels w/ non-precision bearings.

4 - ABEC 9 bearings which can be substituted for the ABEC 5s...the
best bearings I could find short of going to ceramics.

8 - aluminum 8 mm spacers...4 of each of two types...potentially
useful when installing the wheels on the Europa forks...to center the
wheels on the forks will require shortening of the spacers.

A hint at how these bearings are removed and changed: Insert one of
the spacers w/ the reducers on each end into the installed wheel
bearing...gently "rock" the bearing from side to side...they will move
outward from the wheel hub in small increments...work patiently, and
they will then "pop out". This technique was recommended by the wheel
sellers and I've found that it does in fact work, though patience is
key.

Enjoy,

Fred

PS:  ZERO FLIGHT EXPERIENCE OR TESTING !!