Europa-List: Europa door shoot bolts

Subject: Europa-List: Europa door shoot bolts
From: John Wigney <johnwigney@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:06:12

Hi Vaughn,

Am happy to hear that you are back on track with the project. How is
progress?

You were fortunate with the Tomahawk door. Re Europa doors, my
experience is that mine opened up once a long time ago (rear bolt not
engaged) just as I was lifting off at take off. I was able to gently set
it back down without losing the door. Lucky me. I am now a bit anal
about checking the bolts. I believe that if you fly with one bolt out,
there may be no way you can stop the door opening or even think about
relocking it. Just fly the plane.

At the 2008 Sun N Fun, there was a prize winning Lancair which departed
---From the show. The photo at take off  (below) shows his front hinge
canopy was open about 2" at the back edge. He crashed fatally about 5
miles from the airport. Even at big shows you can always declare an
emergency. This guy could have put it back down.  Moral = "Fly the Plane!"

Cheers, John