Europa-List: Re: Location for temperature sender/s

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Location for temperature sender/s
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:50:59

Hi Ivor
Do you have an intercooler installed on your 914?
I would imagine worst case for potential ice would be fine pitch or at least
having
the wind turn the prop with little to no throttle opening?
Is that what you find?
I would also imagine the second you begin to increase MP close to ambient
pressure
having the prop pull the aeroplane, the heating from turbo compressing air
would raise temp above carb ice range. I owned a 1983 Volvo 245 turbo station
wagon with a air cooled turbo very similar to 914 and it came from factory
without
an intercooler. In that configuration they stated temps would raise 145
degrees F over ambient. Once an intercooler was installed, temp would only raise
45 f over ambient, thus they would allow more boost. Anyway it was a standard
shift. Two or three times pulling off parkway using a bit of engine braking
had ice occur and had motor quit. For cetrtain ice was in the fuel flow
regulator
gizmo that was in the breeze after air cleaner, but before turbo charger.
I never looked downstream but I suspect there was ice by throttle butterfly
(this
was fuel injected) because it felt like there was ice in there. Sitting for
a few minutes had things melting and I was on my way. It would only happen
when car was pushing engine, if power was commanded before motor quit all was
fine after a hiccup or three. I installed intercooler.
Ron Parigoris

Read this topic online here: