Europa-List: Re: Instrument module cooling/demisting

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Instrument module cooling/demisting
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 00:00:30

Hi Mau11
"if you have pictures of fan cooling installation I am interested."
I have a few different fans on order from Newark and Mouser to fool with. I will
post details and pics once I get it all figured out.
As far as GPS placement, we fooled tonight with reception and for certain having
an aluminium backing on antenna makes for better reception (thanks Bud for
suggesting
reception is better with a groundplane). I found that specifications
for antenna reception on Garmin 296 is in fact with a square 70CM groundplane
installed. Anyway I am going to use the aluminium bracket that came with
antenna,
removed the suction cups and drilled 3 holes to make a 3 legged stool out
of it. Then I screwed 3 drawer wood pull handles to the bracket (handles have
metal inserts) and shaped to fit inside bottom of top port side of panel. Once
I have my cooling fans installed I canl JB KWIK in place 3 wood standoffs for
antenna mount. Once JB KWIK is cured (4 minutes) will put a flox/Aeropoxy/30
minute hardener fillet around wood standoffs.
BTW we tested GPS reception tonight. We covered antenna with fiberglass (both
epoxy
and whatever ester instrument module is made out of), plexiglass and firewall
pheonelic stuff. It degrades performance a little, but even covered with
all this stuff as long as a groundplane was below antenna, reception was a tad
better compared to the finger sized antenna connected direct to 296.
Ron Parigoris

Read this topic online here: