Europa-List: Re: GPS antenna mounted to instrument module

Subject: Europa-List: Re: GPS antenna mounted to instrument module
From: rampil <ira.rampil@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:45:21

Yes Ron, the CRP of the panel is transparent to GPS unless you re-did
your panel in carbon fiber.  The plexi windshield is also transparent to
GPS.

Unless you metalized your firewall, it too is essentially transparent.

GPS Antennas are not supposed to "see" down to the horizon, in fact
most receivers with ignore satellites within 5-10 degrees of the horizon
("the masking angle") by orbital calculation in order to avoid atmospheric
distortions of the signal.  Since your engine is below the inside ceiling
of the panel, the existence of the engine is a non-factor as well.

My GPS puck is attached to the ceiling of my panel with industrial grade
double sided foam tape.

Ivor, your solution requires extra length of coax cable and a connection to be
broken whenever you need to pull the panel out of the fuse.  Extra
coax length and in particular, extra coax connections are extremely hurtful
to GPS signal strength.

--------
Ira N224XS

Read this topic online here: