Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 10 Msgs - 01/27/10

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 10 Msgs - 01/27/10
From: John Lawton <wingdingy@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:04:35

> aviators!<<<<<<<

Hey David,

What you said here is the very crux of why I responded so forcefully to
ongoing, seemingly never ending, unfounded comments about Jabiru
<<reliability>> in the first place. Mike's comment echos my own frustration.
Those of you who responded to my comments about Rotax did so exactly as I
expected you would. You took the bait, hook, line and sinker.

 With the recent series of responses to my commentary regarding Rotax vs.
Jabiru it is patently obvious that the Rotax owners here who have chimed in
don't appreciate it one bit when I exaggerate failures that have occurred
with your Rotax engine. Why then is it acceptable behavior for some here to
repeatedly speak disparagingly of the Jabiru, more often than not with no
direct experience with the engine? Are we Jabiru owners supposed to just sit
here like potted plants and take it? Many here seem to feel unrestrained to
criticize my Jabiru, despite the fact that they addmittedly have no
practical experience with Jabiru engines. Doesn't it make more sense to
educate yourself, rather than perpetuate exaggerated rumors?

Giles, Mike, and others, understand that I intentionally exaggerated my
comments about Rotax engine reliability, knowing full well that my comments
would tweek someone into chiming in. Turns out my comments tweeked several
folks, exactly as they were intended to do. To each of you who took the
bait, I thank you kindly for brilliantly illustrating the very essence of my
point. In the southern USA, we call that "hit dog hollers". To quote a more
common euphemism, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

We are indeed supposed to be fellow aviators here. This is why I find the
perpetual unfounded negative commentary about Jabiru engine <<reliability>>
so distasteful. We've all chosen to build and fly the Europa for our own
reasons.  Likewise, we've also each chosen an engine to power our Europas
for our own reasons. We all should be encouraging each other and helping
each other where we can, rather than besmirching the engine of choices of
those of us that have decided to go with something OTR (other than Rotax)
with little or no basis in fact. Isn't the purpose of this forum to share
information, discuss issues and help each other? My own motivation to
participate in this forum certainly is founded in this concept.

For whatever reason, Jabiru seems to be the forum whippin' boy and it is
long past time for it to stop. I and others who have decided to go with the
Jabiru don't appreciate the exaggerated disparaging comments about our
Jabiru engines any more than those of you who responded to my exaggerated
disparaging comments about Rotax engines do. As I said initially, if you
have specific issues you would like to discuss regarding the Jabiru 3300 and
the Europa, I'm happy to oblige. The Jabiru 3300 is indeed a fine little
engine, well suited for use in the Europa. Is it perfect? No, but neither is
the Rotax 9XX. I have nothing to hide. I'm happy to share the knowledge I've
gained over the past four years of actual, hands on experience with this
engine. I'm sure the other Europa/Jabiru owners who read and participate in
this forum are likewise happy to share their own experiences. If you have a
question, by all means, ask! In any event, if you have no experience with
Jabiru engines you would be far better off to keep your unfounded negative
commentary and rumor mongering to yourself, rather than opening your mouth
and removing all doubt. The Rotax owners here who chimed in and responded to
my comments clearly expect me to govern myself in regard to my commentary
about your Rotax engine, keeping the commentary truthful and above board..
All I am asking is that you do the same when it comes to my Jabiru 3300.

I will now climb down off my soap box. Mission accomplished. (with a little
help from my friends)

Regards,

John Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)