Re: Europa-List: Is it possible to register for VAT

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Is it possible to register for VAT
From: R Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:18:23

> Is it possible to register for VAT and then de-register
>  soonafter? I have set up a website and would love to
> get my VAT on the build costs back. Trouble is, I don't
>  want to have to charge VAT going forward so would want
>  to deregister. Is this allowed?

The answer is no !

The tax man has thought of this !

When you de-register he will ask for a calculation of the
VAT re-imbursed on your assets and will want all that VAT
back ! The tax man would be particularly upset if he
thought you had done this specifically to avoid tax.

Otherwise EVERYONE would be doing it !

How about finding a small trader who doesn't charge VAT as
HE isn't registered and then get him to build your web-site !

Richard Holder
G-OWWW
High Cross