Europa-List: Fuel tank installation without bonding it in

Subject: Europa-List: Fuel tank installation without bonding it in
From: Jan de Jong <jandejong@casema.nl>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 00:54:29

Dear all,

Unless somebody has a bright idea I think I have come to the end of
planning to install the fuel tank without bonding it in.
I now have a tightly fitting bed of 2 layers of bid and a quantity of
1/16" wool felt to line it with. Also epp padding for locking in to
restrict movement up and forward.
Yesterday I remembered belatedly that plastic moving on wool (and
plastic on plastic) can lead to static charge buildup and sparks.
I decided to investigate antistatic measures and ordered Graphit 33 by
CRC Kontakt Chemie. Covering rubbing parts of the tank with this (after
test) might solve the problem (if it is).
Today I remembered, also belatedly, that sloshing fuel on the inside and
a conductive layer on the outside is also not good - potential for
sparks right through the tank wall.
I am not contemplating spraying the inside of the tank with graphite...
So I am at a standstill with this plan.

The alternative will be bonding in according to the manual but with
staggered bid layers, 3 layers of bid on the whole tunnel and low
expansion urethane foam supporting the front bottom - as described by
Ron Parigoris. (the front bottom support was also part of the bed and
lock-in plan).

What shall I do.

Jan de Jong