Re: Europa-List: Re: does rotax need egt?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: does rotax need egt?
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@redzone.com.au>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 20:35:53

> Attachments:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com//files/rotax_efficiency_125.pdf

Hello Ira,

Thank you for posting those figures . . . interesting indeed.  60% increase
in fuel consumption flying at 9,000 ft as opposed to 3,000ft while TAS
increases 33%.

I note the increase in fuel consumption is almost linear from 3K to 7K ft
while the increase between 7K and 9K is double that between 5K & 7K.  I
imagine 22.6" MP at 9K would be wide open throttle so I'm wondering if this
kick in the consumption is because of power jets coming into play.
Regardless, there is nothing that can be done about it with things as they
are so I can certainly understand your desire to install a mixture control.
I look forward to hearing how you accomplish this.

Sorry I am unable to supply any comparative data yet.

BTW, your MPG figures appear to actually be NMPG so your actual MPG is still
way ahead of any motor vehicle travelling at 146 MPH.  Realizing that may
make you feel better No?

Somewhere  I saw once that Rotax actually do have true altitude compensating
carburettors but for the life of me I cannot recall where I saw that.

Cheers
Kingsley