Re: Europa-List: Mode S transponders

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mode S transponders
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:14:45

Brian Davies wrote:

> Yes, the mods approval system in the UK is far from satisfactory.  I
> understand there is/was a proposal to create an experimental category in the
> UK but I suspect this has been overtaken by EASA deliberations.  Watch out!
> EASA may get to the Dutch in time!

I'm sure it will. That's one of the reasons I was a bit in a hurry to
get the airplane finished. ;-) They used EASA to force us to invest in
mode-S transponders which we are not allowed to use, and useless ELT's.
I'm sure that in the near future homebuilding will be restricted to
whatever limitations EASA will come up with. I'm trusting however that
once an airplane is registered that they are not just taking that away
again. And even that of course is not for sure.

Frans