Re: Europa-List: does rotax need egt?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: does rotax need egt?
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:06:40

Rowland, I suspect you only get real value out of it if you monitor all 4
EGTs, as in the Flydat. I am no expert but I would expect that ignition
problems or compression problems in one cylinder would throw up unequal
temps. so letting you know where to start looking for the problem.There is
also the point that if your mixture control systemdoes go up the creek, then
it might tell you so before the whole thing burns up!   I assume that
gubbins in one carburettor can lead to leaning of that bank of cylinders. It
also shows you whether your cylinder/exhaust cooling is even (which is not
the case in mine - the front 2 are significantly cooler than the others),
and presumably would give you warning that a baffle or some other part of
the cooling system had come adrift.  Regards, David