Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Glide ratio

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Glide ratio
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:51:33

Hi Michel,

I have you some info:

1) During test flight phase #1 (2007) I unfired the engine and trimmed 70 knots
and saw -700 feet /min in the variometer. Glide ratio was 700 feet /min : 70
knots = 3,6 m/s : 36 m/s = 1:10.

- TOW was 520 kgs, prop was Warp Drive fixed blade angle  set 20 degrees and NOT
windmilling ie. prop was not rotating.

2) During test flight phase #2 (2009) I unfired again my engine and trimmed 70
knots and saw this time -400 feet /min in the variometer. Glide ratio was 400
feet /min : 70 knots = 2 m/s : 36 m/s = 1:18.

- TOW was 537 kgs, prop was Airmaster and blades were feathered

During both cases the plane was XS Mono with speed kit (empty weight 401 kg
/2007
and 412 kgs /2009) and it was clean (flaps & gear up).
I assume 70 knots gives the best glide ratio.
Notice: I have no idea what was an influence of possible thermal lifts during
flights.
I think GD 1:10 equals about universal GAs like Cessna 172.

What a difference between blades in normal position or feathered ones!
That is also a remakable safety factor:

Imagine flying at 15000 feet. Stop the engine, feather blades and trim 70 knots.
After  hour you are still in altitude 3000 feet and the distance from an
original
position is 35 nm /65 km.

I do understand always smiling glider people - it is so beautiful to just soar.

These figures are just suggestive but I hope you got some idea.
I am sure you will very soon get more specific and detailed information...

I would love to know whats glide ratio with gliding wings AND feathered prop (my
guess: 1:25).

Raimo
OH-XRT from Finland