RE: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: VOR Aerials

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: VOR Aerials
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 21:16:54

>Is a full wave loop installed in the tail an option here, feed point
>on the floor or roof to create the horizontal polarization

Craig - I guess you are thinking of something what's described here:

<http://www.davemorris.com/Dave/MorrisDFLoop.html>

I note that this description is intended for comms (not VOR) and so
the designer states:

"Placing the gap halfway up the fuselage side causes the antenna to
radiate in vertical polarization. (If you deviate from the plans and
place the gap at the top or bottom, the antenna will become
horizontally polarized, and you will suffer a significant decrease in
signal strength both on transmit and receive, so don't do it!)"

This type of aerial seems to be ideal for a Europa installation,
unless I have missed something. Obviously, though, you couldn't have
both VOR & comms aerials of this type in the fuselage as they would
be much too close together!

regards

Rowland