Re: Europa-List: VOR antennas et all

Subject: Re: Europa-List: VOR antennas et all
From: jimpuglise@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 18:41:52

Fergus-

You hit it dead on.=C2- Most amateurs are glad to help and most also have
 either a good VHF SWR bridge or an antenna scope.=C2- Sure beats buying
one.=C2- Also, they are usually experts at soldering those pesky BNC conn
ectors.=C2- As for the VOR antenna, I just went out to my plane and took
some measurements.=C2- Since the receive antenna is horizontally polarize
d, it looks to me like=C2- copper tape fastened to the roof immediatly in
 front of, or behind, the doors would be an ideal location.=C2- As someon
e said, if the ends need to be bent, it is very minimal impact.=C2- You c
ould center feed it and run the coax forward through the overhead panel or
back and down a side of the fuselage.=C2- The tape is available from=C2
-AS for a very reasonable=C2-price.=C2- As far as toroids go, I would
n't bother.=C2-=C2-This orientation would put the signal you want broad
side of the antenna, which is exactly what you need.=C2- The VOR antenna
will be receive only, so if it is correctly tuned with a bridge, dipper, or
 antenna scope when installed,=C2-it will be fine.=C2- To start with, t
he standard formula for VHF is (5904 * K) /Frequency in MHZ.=C2- K is a v
ariable based on the size of the conductor, for copper tape,=C2-I=C2-wo
uld use about .95.=C2- The answer is in inches .=C2- If it is receive o
nly, I don't think it would even be necessary to tune it, the formula shoul
d be clos e enough.=C2- The whole thing should be about a one hour projec
t.=C2-

Jim Puglise A-283 (K9CQ)=C2-=C2- =C2-=C2- =C2-