Europa-List: VOR antennas et all

Subject: Europa-List: VOR antennas et all
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 12:00:48
Cheers,
        I note the level of discussion about antennas rising again, so will
make my pitch for an alternative.........
        Being both, along with several others on net, I have found a strange
sameness in the two groups. Building planes and radios seem to attract
similar folk in that there's a certain camaraderie, helpfulness and
reasonableness to both groups. And, it appears that given the opportunity
each admires and is curious about the other. Even the regular meetings seem
to acquire the same atmosphere.
        Given that, I have always suggested a builder of aircraft who needs
advice or measuring in the radio line contact his/her local Amateur Radio
club and solicit a dash of help in citing or measuring the antenna, both the
Av VHF, Beacon, VOR and assorted accessory freqs. It might be surprising to
find hams outbidding each other to come, see your project - pick the
gray-haired samples as they have tried it all because they are forever
trying to string up temporary, emergency and strange aerials everywhere.
Such items as airborne IRLP, APRS and other facets might come up....
        Anyway, I'll go now....
Ferg
Europa Classic 914 CSprop