Europa-List: Landing Gear Frame

Subject: Europa-List: Landing Gear Frame
From: Richard Lamprey <lamprey@infocom.co.ug>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 10:52:34
Robert,

Around 1996, Europa supplied the support brackets, and stainless straps
to be welded in conjunction, for those who could not send the
undercarriage frame back to have it done. Those who had already
installed the frame had rather a nightmare getting it out again, alot of
hammering needed.   In my case, I hadn't installed the frame, but
sending it back to Yorkshire from Kenya would have been impossible, so I
obtained from Europa the kit of supports/straps parts.  These have to be
welded by Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG) welding, which is for stainless steel
and quite specialized.... I had mine welded by the only company in Kenya
doing TIG welding, in the backstreets of Nairobi's industrial area; the
company makes fitted-out kitchen surfaces for hotels and game lodges.

It might be worth asking Europa if they still have that kit of support
brackets and straps, and then finding a TIG welder.  In any case it
would seem that you will have to get the frame out...  Good luck.

All the best
Richard
Europa 168, reg 5Y-LRY, Kenya