Europa-List: Rough fields

Subject: Europa-List: Rough fields
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:52:13
        I know I may sound like a fuss-budget but I have the suspicion that
rough field deployment is fairly common for us Europhiles. In Her Majesty's
Wind Force, Canadian branch, we seemed to specialize in bumpy landings and
bumpy fields where I learned the early stuff.
        My instructor was fairly level about most rash errors (as were most
of his ilk) but one fault brought the rear joystick to the back of the
miscreant's neck more than any other:
"Never let the controls bang against the stops..."
This meant a hand on the stick at all times in bumpy conditions - turb,
landing, gusts, taxying. Sounds pretty  basic (especially landing), but over
a period it's not unusual for the stick to be whipped out of one's hand -
and that's a no-no.

"It's finger tips for guidance elsewhere, but I want a firm grip in the
bumps, Kyle! One thump against the stops and I'll barbeque your left cheek.
In two months you'll be gone, and I'll still be in here saying it to the
next guy."

        His voice rings in my ears to this day.  I suggest we make the
precaution in all our work....just my nickel's worth.
Ferg