Europa-List: Ditching

Subject: Europa-List: Ditching
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 11:18:32

Kevin posted some valuable thoughts on survival gear and where to (try to) land
in case of an engine failure, in response to my reference to the Norwegian CAA's
VFR-guide for flying in Norway.

Flying in most parts of Norway is over either mountains/rocks, forest or water
(lakes and fjords) - none or few farmers' fields in most places.

Since I have the trigear, I would be very afraid to try to set it down on water.
Would it not, because of the nose wheel, ditch in with the nose and stop like
hitting concrete?  Is there a technique to use to have some chance of surviving?
To set the tail down first would be an option, perhaps, but the risk of
doing this too early and thus stalling would be great, would it not?  And as
soon as the main wheels hit water, the aircraft would pitch nose down anyway?

Any encouraging statistics about ditching a nosewheeled aircraft?

The mono is probably much better in this respect - - - -.

Regards,
Svein K. Johnsen
LN-SKJ