Re: Europa-List: Landing gear frame

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Landing gear frame
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:45:03
Ok, I have an oven that was donated that just needs to be wired and juiced
up, for speeding up the Hammerite drying process.

Heres the potential plan:

1)       sand blast the corrosion area (hard to get sandpaper to it, as it
is between the tube and straight metal strengthening pieces), or
alternatively let the Hammerite treat the rust directly (since it contains
its own rust treatment).

2)        Lightly Scotch Brite the other areas without rust (the 'gold'
areas) and Hammerite it all, or alternatively no Scotch Brite and Hammerite
it all.

3)       Bake frame in the oven.

4)       Cook turkey to soak up the oven fumes left over from the Hammerite
:)

Is there anyone who has actually painted directly over the treated, gold
colored surface? If so, was it successful, or were there any problems? I
think it would be nice to have the backup layer of protection.

~G

We had one of the early painted frames and corrosion set in fairly early. At
the 5 year inspection we had to remove the frame and repaint it (in addition
to the frame strengthening mod 72???). We stripped it down to the bare metal
then metal prepped it (acid etch) and then Hammerite red primer and white
topcoat.

Nigel is right when he says it is soft so you have to be very careful
reinstalling it into the aircraft - it gets damaged when you refit the
engine and ancillary bits but its easy enough to retouch the damaged areas.
Once the engine has run once there is enough heat under the cowling to
harden it off permanently.

Alternatively you can bake Hammerite in an oven and it hardens up quite
rapidly this way but - not sure if the Mrs would approve of Hammerite
flavoured Xmas turkey. However it would  be fairly easy to make up an oven
---From foam blocks and a hairdryer - about an hour at 70 degrees centigrade
would work.

Make sure it has plenty of time to harden. Initially it is quite soft and is
easily damaged.

Nigel Charles