Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Landing gear frame

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Landing gear frame
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:02:09
We had one of the early painted frames and corrosion set in fairly
early. At the 5 year inspection we had to remove the frame and repaint
it (in addition to the frame strengthening mod 72???). We stripped it
down to the bare metal then metal prepped it (acid etch) and then
Hammerite red primer and white topcoat.

Nigel is right when he says it is soft so you have to be very careful
reinstalling it into the aircraft - it gets damaged when you refit the
engine and ancillary bits but its easy enough to retouch the damaged
areas. Once the engine has run once there is enough heat under the
cowling to harden it off permanently.

Alternatively you can bake Hammerite in an oven and it hardens up quite
rapidly this way but - not sure if the Mrs would approve of Hammerite
flavoured Xmas turkey. However it would  be fairly easy to make up an
oven from foam blocks and a hairdryer - about an hour at 70 degrees
centigrade would work.