Europa-List: XS Monowheel washer getting shaved from cable thimble

Subject: Europa-List: XS Monowheel washer getting shaved from cable thimble
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 20:14:39

I just finished installing tailwheel drive cables.

After a half dozen cycles starboard stop to port stop, I felt and heard
something
scraping. It ends up that since the tailwheel cables are angled downwards at
~ 15 degrees from the rudder drive horn, the cable thimbles are point loading
the aft edge of the washer and beginning to shave off the edge.

I am sure it will wear where there is more contact but don't like it too much.
Wear will equate to less spring tension.
I have ~ 1/2" spring compression, makes no difference if I back off to 3/8" (I
have turnbuckles)

1) I am thinking about turning a washer that has a 15 degree taper and fit it
above
the manual specified washer that is getting shaved. It would still allow
for clearance from the bottom of the rudder drive horn. Thinking to make it out
of stainless. Thoughts?

Thanking all in advance
Ron Parigoris

Visit -  www.EuropaOwners.org