Europa-List: Re: oil leak

Subject: Europa-List: Re: oil leak
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 02:33:05

Paul,

I had a similar experience when I first commissioned the engine.  Sounds like
the
check valve on the turbo is/was stuck.  The stuck check valve allows oil to
fill up the turbo on both the intake and exhaust sides.  Upon start up the oil
on the intake side is blown into the air box where it then collects and drains
as you have observed.  While you can remove the check valve and clean it, more
than likely it will re seat itself.

Good luck,

Erich Trombley
N28ET Classic Mono 914

we have just run the engine up (914) for the third time. After about 5 min there
was oil dripping from the right hand airbox drain and the air filter is soaked
in oil. There is no apparent leak from anywhere else. The oil tank has never
been over filled. The engine does not appear to be burning oil. It appears that
it has been drawn up into the airbox from the turbo - but why the air filter
soaked in oil? The first couple of engine runs (couple of months ago) there was
no evidence of oil leaking anywhere. Any thoughts?

Regards

Paul

Fast Computer Training. Click here.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/BLSrjnsC7v6Knu7eDjYzNVAlYb8GYEnlVsXxvffM7p2QMNEm4AXZJ1fJAFC/