Europa-List: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Europa_Original_Seat_Belts=B4_Inherent_Risk?

Subject: Europa-List: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Europa_Original_Seat_Belts=B4_Inherent_Risk?
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 20:18:39
All who use or are going to use Europa original seat belts

There is also one another (one is the potential hip hit in accident)
safety problem with Europa-type belts and installation:

They form a fixed loop around your shoulders.

In the case of accident if you are upsidedown it is hard or even
impossible to escape.
That may be very difficult even in a car with just an ordinary three
point seat belts.

Think:

- after ditching or any bad landing you may be upside down. What kind of
last moments you have before drowning or burning or starving if you
cannot escape because of unlockable safety belts?

After certain this category fatal accidents those type "loop" belts have
been illegal and strictly forbidden in Finland since 2001. That order is
also valid for experimentals and ultralights.
I do not know the actual situation in other countries.

That is why I have German made Schroth TSo belts with central lock and
four fully separate laps.

I wish you all have anyway minimum a lap knife in a practical place near
by.

I hope nobody will suck a pea into her/his nose because of my message!

Wishes, Raimo OH-XRT

PS: I have one free free set of Europa belts for anyone but they are
definetely not for aviation use!