Re: Europa-List: Fuel valve open or close between flights

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel valve open or close between flights
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 18:57:45

>After flights do you close or not main fuel selector valve?
>
>I have elected to keep it always open

>To prevent jamming or seizing  I move it couple of times in a year
>between ON-RESERVE-CLOSED positions.
>
>Other visions please

Raimo - attached is a picture of my fuel selector as fitted to the
cockpit module (not yet installed in the fuselage). I had to use a
short extension between the selector and the valve to let the flap
actuating rod pass. I may need to fit a transparent hinged cover for
better elbow comfort, but I think the Andair selector, fitted in this
location, has much better ergonomics than the standard XS factory
arrangement. I tried sitting in the CM and operating the imaginary
valve protruding from the tunnel down by my right hip and found it
most awkward - I would not like to use it in an emergency.

Andair caution against excessive operation of the valve dry (I ran
some kerosene through mine for lubrication while I was fiddling about
with the installation), but they don't seem to place any restrictions
on operation once wet with fuel and in service.

The checks I was taught on shutdown after pulling the mixture and the
prop stopped were: "mags off, fuel off, master off". Likewise the
before-start checks included "fuel on, to lowest tank" and the
before-takeoff checks included "fuel on, to fullest tank". On some
(C150) aircraft the school policy was to leave the fuel tap open, and
I recall that on one of those I once tried to move the tap for some
reason on the ground and found it was seized solid. Even so, we did
touch drills in accordance with the above checklists even if the tap
was not actually moved.

regards

Rowland