Europa-List: Re: Windshield care

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Windshield care
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:53:13

In a message dated 4/30/2009 3:03:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
europa-list@matronics.com writes:

A key  notion, not mentioned previously is that when cleaning the plexi,
first use  copious water spray, then wipe with cotton with only  LINEAR
strokes.

Hi Ira,

Read my post regarding how we clean canopies from last week and you'll  see
that I recommended exactly what you say here regarding cotton cloths, water
 and linear strokes on plexi. In certain situations you can use denatured
alcohol  to get rid of really bad gunk on plexi, but use it sparingly.  As I
mentioned last week, we use Egyptian terrycloth hand towels for wiping
plexi  clean with water and only water. I prefer a soaked towel, followed by a

dry  towel, as opposed to using a spray bottle and a dry towel. I suppose
which  method you use depends on whether or not you have running water at the

hangar.

A word of caution regarding the use of Pledge, certain waxes and other
similar products. It would probably be a good idea to test any  product,
Pledge, wax, etc, you want to try on your windshield on a  scrap piece of plexi

first. I've heard several tales of canopies becoming  frosted after they
reacted badly with something in certain furniture  polishes like Pledge. There's

no coming back once your glass is  frosted.  There's really no need to take
a chance on furniture  polishing products frosting your glass. Buffing plexi
is really easy and if  you learn to do it you can keep your glass looking
brand new for years.

FWIW, We've used the micromesh before. It doesn't seem to work any better
than 1500 and 2000 Klingspor sand paper, followed by a good  buffing, but it
does cost more.

Regards,

John  Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)
N245E - Flying on the rare occasion the weather  is decent.
web. Get the Radio Toolbar!