Europa-List: Re: Cleaning windshields

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Cleaning windshields
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:45:53

In a message dated 4/21/2009 3:02:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
europa-list@matronics.com writes:

Hey  guys,
We replace and repair canopies fairly regularly in our shop. In fact,  I'm
doing a rear canopy replacement on an ASW-21 glider this week.  We keep a
stack of Egyptian cotton hand towels in the shop for the sole  purpose of
cleaning canopies. We use only water for cleaning unless  there is something on

it that water won't remove. I wipe my Europa  windshield and my glider
canopy off after every flight because fresh bugs  are easier to remove than ones

that have been baked on after sitting  in a hot hangar between flights.
Ditto the leading edges of the wings  and tail surfaces. Soak one towel with
water and wipe the plexi off  thoroughly, then use a dry towel to remove any
water that is left. The key  with cleaning plexiglass is to always use linear
motion, up and  down, when wiping them off. Do not wipe in circles! If you
do this you  will create swirls and the next time you fly into the sun you
will wish you  hadn't wiped it in circles. If you do get minor scratches,
though, they can be  removed fairly easily.

Most, if not all small scratches can be easily removed from  plexiglass
with buffing.  It's basically just like paint. Generally,  anything you can't
feel with your fingernail will buff out. We use a buffing  rouge that is
specifically meant for plexiglass. I made a buffer specifically  for buffing
canopies and plexiglass from a 4" Makita grinder which  uses 6" flannel pads.
Flannel is the key here. A router speed control is  necessary to slow the
buffer down a bit, but it works very well. You use this  buffer end on, just
like you would buff paint, but not on the  side like an orbiting or circular
buffer. Keep the buffer moving in short,  side to side movements and buff at
90 degrees to the scratches. Most deeper  scratches can be removed by
carefully sanding with 1500, then 2000 grit paper on  a small block, then buff.
can usually bring a canopy back to near  new condition with a quick buffing.
We get our buffs and buffing compound from  these folks:
_http://www.sattexcorp.com/Index.asp_ (http://www.sattexcorp.com/Index.asp)

Hope it helps!

Regards,

John  Lawton