SV: Europa-List: propeller torque

Subject: SV: Europa-List: propeller torque
From: Sidsel og Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 22:42:55
Frans,

This issue was raised in September 2006, at which time I offered the
following advice:

quote
1. Set the torque limit on the torque wrench in the normal way.
1. Use a fixed spanner on the prop bolt.
2. Use a transition piece for the torque wrench that goes into the other
end

of the spanner.
3. Orientate the torque wrench so that its handle is 90 degrees (right
angle) to the spanner.
4. Apply force on the torque wrench handle at 90 degrees to the handle,
i.e.

straight out, i.e. parallel to the fixed spanner.
5. The torque thus created at the "other end of the spanner" transfers
along

the length of the spanner and onto the prop bolt.

As you apply the force/torque, the prop. bolt will turn and you then
simply
follow with it, i.e. maintain your hand force parallel with the spanner.

Re. 2 above:  Alternatively, use the "open" end of the spanner on the
prop
bolt and put a suitably sized bolt (one that the torque wrench will fit
onto) through the "star" end of the spanner, with a nut tightened hard
on
the other side.

I have attached (I hope it comes through!) a rough sketch illustrating
the
principle.

unquote

I apologize for numbering the two first paragraphs both as 1.  The
sketch I
attached is not stored in the list archive, where I retrieved the above.
don't have the sketch on this PC, so I have made a new one for you - see
attached.

Good luck!

Regards,
Svein