RE: Europa-List: Cowl Question?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Cowl Question?
From: Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 09:08:58
Hi! Jim.
I have to concur with Jeffrey. My 3300 installation was the first and
the UK agent had made  a "plug" to fit a 2200 engine down to the Europa
Firewall.
Obviously I had to extensively change the front to suit the 3300 and I
did lots of experimenting with Eyebrows and "underbrows" and also a top
scoop.
The biggest factor and so important is to arrange for the sump cooling
fins to get dedicated air to exit right out the rear cowl bottom.
Your whole effort must go to ensuring top cowl pressure is forcing cold
air downwards through and across the engine completely against the
physics of hot air rising.
You may get some ideas from my ( defunct cowl since I have a  Rotax 914
now) by looking at    http://www.crix.co.uk <http://www.crix.co.uk/>
Not necessarily repeatable without the close to spinner MT CS
Blades/paddles !
You may see that the sump then oil cooler are ducted and dedicated,
finishing up in a collector manifold under the muffler with butterfly
connections to both foot wells or exit to waste out the back. I could
fry the P2 position by collecting this heat for cabin .
But you have just got to keep this high pressure air out of the lower
cowl and in the duct to allow the main downward cooling air to do it's
job through the heads and barrel fins.
I also devised a way to switch off the oil circulating through the
cooler since with the cooler constantly in the circuit the oil never got
to acceptable temperature levels...But had to extend the slot in the
ball valve to ensure that on switchover there was always adequate
pressured oil to the engine. This was by a mechanical push pull lever to
the P1 position. Manifold and oil switch all displayed on the above web
site (I just checked!)
I personally wouldn't wish to go that way again especially all at my
expense with no assistance from the distributor.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG  ex 3300