Re: Europa-List: wingroot fairing update

Subject: Re: Europa-List: wingroot fairing update
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:12:01

On Mar 31, 2009, at 2:36 AM, flyingphil2 wrote:

> Well done on constructing the wing root fairings - they look really
> good.
>
> I'll be interested to see how the flight testing goes.  The first
> picture with the flaps deployed seems to show two very large vortex
> generators (i.e the fairings attached to the flaps).  I wonder how
> the aircraft will behave at high angles of attack and whether you
> will get increased turbulence on the tailplanes?

Hi Phil,

I seem to recall that your field is aerodynamics, so I take your post
very seriously...the last thing I would want is to disturb the airflow
over the tailplanes. Would you care to elaborate?

I've pondered at length over just how the flap deployment is
accommodated while minimizing the overall width of the fuselage so
that when the wings are detached, they can be stowed on the monowheel
trailer.
There are, of course, a variety of ways to cut the upper and lower
fairings and vary the amount of fairing which deploys with the flaps.

Fred

--
believed to be clean.