Europa-List: wingroot fairing update

Subject: Europa-List: wingroot fairing update
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 23:04:38
Guys...a couple more pixs to update those posted on Feb. 24th.

In the 1st, the top fairing has been cut into 3 pcs, flanges added,
and everything clecoed back in place.

The 2nd shows the same on the lower fairing; upper and lower have been
floxed and taped together along the elliptical trailing edge.

The 3rd & 4th pixs, w/ flaps partially extended, show the closure
panels on both flap and fuselage, necessary to close the voids which
would otherwise be open to the airflow as the flaps deploy. As you can
see, my fuselage cradle restricts flap extension. The closure panel on
the flap (#3) really stiffened up the innermost corner of the
underside of the curved flap extension which otherwise would have been
flapping in the breeze. The whole thing is now rock-solid, except for
the forward piece which stays with the wing and will flex much like
the standard wing fairing under flight loads. These last two pixs also
show no more clecos as the pieces are now bonded to flap and fuselage.
The deployment/retraction action is smooth and the joints passed
inspection. It's all still pretty rough, but I don't anticipate any
problems finishing and feathering everything into the fuselage.

All this piecing is necessary only to allow for wing stowage on the
standard monowheel trailer...I now have 8 different moulds for the
requisite parts port & starboard.

No performance data as yet, but Jeff B. is still planning on doing
some flight tests w/ the fairings mounted on his trigear, Baby Blue.

Anyone with an interest in replicating or installing some version of
these can contact me off list. Check out also my matronics-photoshare
dated Aug 9, 2008:

        http://www.matronics.com/photoshare/fklein@orcasonline.com.07.21.2008/

Fred
A194