Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp motors

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp motors
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:22:21

Karl Heindl wrote:

> I was not trying to imply anything about the voltage, just passing on
> some information. I have seven Woodcomp motors, all are Johnson, and all
> run on at least up to 9V. I don't think the controller sends out 12V
> anyway,  but Mark could probably elaborate on that.

The controller uses Pulse Width Modulation. The pulses are 12V, but the
average depends on the setting, i.e. a setting of 50% means that the
motor, for all practical purposes, will see an average of 6 Volts.

> My concern is not the voltage, but do these motors generate enough
> torque to turn the blades at maximum rpm ? Apparently they do, because
> no-one else has reported any failures.

Depends on the blades, the distribution of the load over the blades
(much like the torque required to turn the Europa tailplanes, i.e.
neglectible). Mark warned me that the scimitar blades are more difficult
to turn because of their asymmetrical load. As the scimitar blades offer
no advantages (according to Woodcomp) over the normal blades, I have
choosen the normal blades.

> It's just one of those things. I am sure that you will be very happy
> with your propeller.

I hope so. ;-) It would be nice if one could just swap a propeller
during flight for comparison. If my Europa turns out to perform well,
there are a dozen of things that could be the cause, it wouldn't be easy
to contribute that to a single item. And of course, it could well be
possible that it is going to be a dog.

--
Best regards,
Frans Veldman