RE: Europa-List: Carriage of ELT in Netherlands

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Carriage of ELT in Netherlands
From: Marcel Zwakenberg <mz@cariama.nl>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 19:33:02
Hi David,

Your information on ELT's in Dutch airspace is partly correct, but for
you that is probably how it should be interpreted by people outside of
Holland.

The complete rule is: ELT's are mandatory for all traffic crossing any
of the EHAA boundaries. Traffic within Dutch airspace that never crosses
those boundaries do not have to carry ELT's.

Unfortunately for everyone in GA, Mode-S is required for all traffic in
Dutch airspace. There is only one exception: in Class G under 1200' amsl
(note: not the 1800' amsl you mention!)that is not restricted by special
airspace types like TMZ's etc. you can fly around without a transponder
broadcasting. Important piece of extra information: the applicable AIC
also states that Mode-A+C is no longer allowed. Don't ask me why, I
didn't make up these rules. ;)

I can't really make any trustworthy remarks about how rigidly these
rules are enforced. I haven't really heard of any confirmed situation
where somebody was fined over a missing ELT or flying higher than 1200'
without a Mode-S transponder. There is one rumour about a plane being
refused entry of Dutch airspace coming out of Germany, but I don't know
this was indeed about ELT of Mode-S missing.

Hope this is of help to you.

Marcel

PS

When will you be visiting Lelystad?