Europa-List: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re=3A_Europa-List=3A_Woodcomp_Propellers?

Subject: Europa-List: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re=3A_Europa-List=3A_Woodcomp_Propellers?
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:16:25

Hello Jos,

I was advised that all Woodcomp in flight adjustable propellers are set up
so that there is a physical stop which prevents each blade going outside the
specified operating range. The hub/ blades are set up at the factory to each
individual customer requirement. I understand there is a groove along the
circumference of the blade roots and the stops locate within the groove. The
length of the groove determines how far the blades can travel.

Most Woodcomp setups can only go from coarse to fine pitch because of the
length of the groove and consequently there is no risk of the blades
travelling outside the operating range.

The only Woodcomp props which can go into neutral or reverse are the ones
where the customer has specified this (ie: the reverse pitch option). My
prop (second hand) is one of the ones that have a longer groove and can
currently go past neutral (ie: superfine and reverse).

I believe your accident had a bearing on the PFA's decision to ban reverse
pitch propellers. My understanding is that no one has identified why these
propellers can go into an uncommanded reverse pitch situation and therefore
the ban would seem to be a perfectly sensible precaution.

As one who speaks from bitter experience I can understand your strong
feelings over this matter.

Best wishes,

Carl.