Re: Europa-List: Re: Strobe wiring

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Strobe wiring
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:24:15

Rowland Carson wrote:

>> I have the coax cable run through torroids near the
>> antenna, and near the rear bulkhead I have some of the cable tightly
>> coiled up (ten turns) on a lightweight 5cm plastic tube
>
> Frans - what type of cable are you using? I understand some coax will
> not like a bend radius as tight as 25mm.

Just some regular RG-58.
The problem with bending too much is that it pulls the center conductor
off its center. This will theoretically create a little bit of loss.
However, if you don't do this over a very long distance, and especially
over the frequencies we aviators use, the loss is neglicible. Higher
frequencies (like your transponder is using) are much more prone to
losses. For VHF, don't worry about cable losses.

--
Frans Veldman