Europa-List: Re: Strobe wiring

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Strobe wiring
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:08:50

In a message dated 2/20/2009 3:02:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
europa-list@matronics.com writes:

> [...]
bought their strobe power units, but my installation  works well without
any interference. I have Whelen equipment and I mounted  an HTS power
supply at each wing tip. They are mounted on removable panels  on the
bottom surface. There is a weight penalty of about 1 pound compared  to a
single HDA power supply in the fuselage but all the high voltage  cables
are short and at the tip. No  problems.<<<<

Hey John and all,

Follwing the K.I.S.S. principle, I used a single Whelen  strobe power supply
mounted to one of the vertical baggage bay  support members under the port
side of the baggage bay and my install  does not cause any audio interference
whatsoever. Access to the power  supply is through the port access cover in the

baggage bay floor. The  power supply fires strobes on the wing tips with the
cables routed from the  power supply along the bottom side of the baggage bay,

then along  the sides of the baggage bay in the cockpit in fiberglass raceways

which  extend from the baggage bay bulkhead forward to the rear of the door
sill. I installed these raceways along and over the fuselage  seams on the
sides of the baggage bay, covering the seam, as well as providing a  conduit for

wiring. The wires then pass down into the backrest and out the  side of the
fuselage through grommeted holes in the fuselage  sides just behind the spar
opening in the side of the fuselage. The  raceways I made were molded over a
piece

of 1.5" PVC pipe  cut lengthways to produce a 1/3rd round shape. Then with
the PVC taped to a  piece of plywood, 3 layers of 'bid were used to make the
molding. A 1/2" flange  was left either side of the rounded part to leave a
bonding  flange for bonding to the inside side of the fuselage.

My system is quiet as a mouse without the faintest hint of strobe tick.  The
secret to keeping your strobes quiet first and foremost is how you  ground the

shield wires on the strobe high tension feeder cabling. The shield  wires
should be grounded only on the power supply end. I crimped, then  soldered a
ring

terminal to the shield wire at the power supply end of the  strobe wires,
then landed the ring terminal under one of the mounting  screws for the power
supply so that the shield wire has continuity with the  power supply case (which

is grounded). Do not ground the other end of the shield  wire at the light. If

you do, you will create a loop antenna and a host of  problems will follow.

I used six pin Molex plugs and sockets at the wing roots and  fuselage sides
so that I would be able to disconnect the strobe and Nav  light wiring when
the wings are removed. The shield wire must also be  carried through at this
point. At the light end, I simply cut the shield  wire off even with the cable

jacket and stuck a piece of heat shrink tubing  on the strobe cable to make it

look pretty, allowing the strobe  feeder wires to carry through a few inches
beyond the cable jacket. The strobe  feeder wires exit the end of the heat
shrink, along with the NAV wires which are  routed on the outside of the strobe

cable, taped to the strobe cabling  about every 6" along the length of the
strobe

cable and then carry  on to the NAV light. I also installed 6 pin Molex plugs
at the  light to make for easy removal of the light if and when it fails, but
the shield  does not need to be included here. The plug/socket on the light
end makes  for easy removal of the light fixture for replacement of the strobe

and NAV  bulbs when the time comes or replacement of the fixture should it
become  damaged, but this step could be omitted. Another thing that is very
important is to not route any other wiring with your radio and  intercom audio

wires, especially the strobe feeds and the trim motor  wiring. Keep all other
wiring separated from your audio wires by at least a few  inches.

I've installed Whelen strobe/Nav combo lights, grounding the shield in  this
manner, in 3 different airplanes thus far and all three are/were quiet  as a
mouse.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

John  Lawton