Re: Europa-List: Exhaust Lagging

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Exhaust Lagging
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@redzone.com.au>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:10:04

> What we have done is install light *radiation* shields a few millimeters
> from the pipes where needed to prevent carbs or fuel lines from 'seeing'
> the red hot exhausts or turbo. The free space between the exhaust and
> 'targets' allows free air passage. I did the same between the 4 into 1 and
> the cowling.

> but I know Europa-philes are wary of non-Europa opinions

Gilles

As one Europaphile with much respect for the time and effort you have
invested in ALL things to do with your non Europa aircraft, may I request
what sort of material you used for same please.  Also, if you have a photo
or two of your shields, any chance of attaching them to an email for the
list please ?

Quite a few years ago, the exhaust of a V8 engine on our Glider winch used
to regularly cook the end of the starter motor.  In a desperate attempt to
mitigate this problem and after I had a sudden rush of blood to the head, I
fashioned a very crude shield from a piece of tin and much to my
astonishment, the problem never reappeared. so I have no doubts about your
findings.

Many thanks

Kingsley in Oz.