Re: Europa-List: gaps for flying surfaces

Subject: Re: Europa-List: gaps for flying surfaces
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 22:38:53
Fred,
Ready for a brain dump?
You are spot on.  I start with a little more at an 1/8 inch for most
aileron end gap minimums.  Trim tabs to stab start about 3/32nd and it
works out that by the time you fill, sand etc. your down to a 1/16 or
so.  Stab to fuselage gaps look good with a 1/4 to start with.  This
allows clearance after painting for full stab movement.  Gaps along the
hinge line have to be watched.  I try to start with a long 1/16 so it
doesn't bind.  Don't make the edges really sharp as some paints fail on
sharp edges or chip.

My problem is with the filler building up and a heavy handed painter at
the paint shop.  With you doing it yourself, you can control most of
this.  After all filling and sanding, and priming, then final sand, I
measured my paint thickness from a chip.  With Three finish coats of
paint (Yes we painted it with two different whites, sanded it all down
and recoated with two more coats) and two primer coats (one a filler
primer, the second a sealer, of all polyurethane done properly then
buffed, came in at a whopping 10-15 mils or .010-.015.  I've got a lot
of paint.  My topcoat should only be 2.5 mils, unfortunately the primer
and previous paint is probably 7 plus.  Most cars have 7 mils max.  But
clear coats are thicker.

How much paint is needed, is a tough question.  I reviewed with my
painter some measurements using a paint thickness device that he had
borrowed from a paint dealer.  Paint thickness really depends also on UV
protection and the manufacturers recommended thickness.  Most urethanes
recommend 2-2.5 mils minimum finish.

As for UV blocking, I use Imron.   It takes a technique to apply well.
Basically, a lot of pressure on the final two coats (60 then 120 psi)
and a cool down during drying.  All your jets use it, Peterbuilt trucks,
etc.  My reference for review came from my painter, but I refer folks
http://www.auf.asn.au/scratchbuilder/coatings.html<http://www.auf.asn.au/
scratchbuilder/coatings.html>.  The Aussies have real UV concerns, and
they have a need for efficient glass aircraft, hence their research and
advice to their builders is invaluable.

Lot's to ponder.

Be careful as these new urethanes will kill you.  Get a fresh air
respirator so we can see you long after your first flight.

Bud
Custom Flight Creations