Re: Europa-List: Mod 64b - Revised Hi Top

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mod 64b - Revised Hi Top
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 12:20:33

flyingphil2 wrote:
> <ptiller@lolacars.com>
>
> I'm planning on doing Mod 64b in due course.  I'm wondering how much
> to stick to the manual ahead of this though as I can see the sizes of
> various parts being wrong.
>
> If the top half of the fuselage is raised by 2" at the front, what
> happens to the following:
>
> a.  Rear Fuselage bulkhead.
> b.  Pitch Control Stop / Pushrod
> containment bulkhead.

I'm assuming you are still building your airplane? Otherwise this
modification would be a major surgery.

To my experience, the adjustments of these parts is very small, and
falls within the "fiddle-range" you would expect anyway (make it
slighltly too large and trim as needed). I'm assuming you "test-fit" the
top in order to cut these parts to their correct lengths.

> c.  Baggage Bay rear bulkhead.

This one definitely needs some changes. I used 3mm plywood to make an
insert. It is attached to the flange of the bulkhead with some bid on
both sizes. When installing the bulkhead, it is a good idea to make the
plies of BID somewhat larger so at the sides they cover both the insert
and the bulkhead.

> d.  Fuel Filler
> pipe.

In my situation, this one is flexible enough to fit nicely.

BTW, the mod I did was slightly different. It started as a factory
installed mod-A (bought the kit from previous owner who had all the
factory accelerated options installed) , and when changing to mod-B, I
incorporated the changes only halfway. That is; I cut half of the
firewall enlargement away, and lowered the window-section also only
half-way. I bought the special upper cowling, and also trimmed it to a
size halfway between a normal cowling and a raised cowling. Now I still
have more panel space (1.5 inch taller firewall), excellent view over
the nose (1.5 inch more window at the bottom), quite a "standard"
exterior (I found the mod-B too much "aquarium-style" but taste is
personal of course), and the windscreen in a little bit more streamlined
position than in the standard mod-B. If you would go this route, you
will need the normal windscreen, but it takes some carefull cutting and
a slight extension of the rear flanges to get it all fitted nicely.

Frans