Europa-List: A Caution

Subject: Europa-List: A Caution
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 13:07:12
I have had an order from McMaster-Carr (for others, a large effective
'hardware store on line') refused. I ordered 2 Spring Plungers (devices
incorporating spring-loaded ball-bearings for applying pressure) online
using both a Canadian VISA and billing address and a U.S. shipping address -
all in the 'open' and repeatedly in the past without a problem. I received a
thanks for ordering and the usual accessories, such as details and tracking
info, within the hour.
                However, the following morning brought a message stating
that they were unable to
ship the order due to security regulations, and apologized. Obviously the
Homeland Security department sensed that I would use the tiny items to put
pressure on our long common border in an attempted land grab. This in my
mind has put them squarely in the ranks of the Vancouver RCMP detachment in
response to "alien" incursions.
        It also occurred to me that the spring plungers were made in Korea,
China or Taiwan, thus adding another worrying aspect to the crime.
        In any event, I hope this clarifies my futile moves and may revise
yours.
Fair winds,
Ferg