Europa-List: Re: Seat Belt Restraint Points

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Seat Belt Restraint Points
From: rampil <ira.rampil@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:11:16

Hi Bob,

Sorry for the delay in my response about belt attachments.

I followed the guidance of AC21-34 (?, but cited in this group in 2007)
I also showed it to Andy Draper at SnF when he was still with Europa,
and he thought it a reasonable approach.  I designed and put it together
under the  watchful eyes of Bud and Russell at FC.

Simply, I bonded aluminum attach points to the lateral seam of the
fuselage behind the baggage bulkhead about a foot. The initial bonding
was with Redux and the bracket was perforated with lightening holes
through which floxxed Redux protruded. This was buried under 4 plies
of BID each 18-20 inches square.  A steel shackle was professionally
crimped at a marina to 1/4" steel cable to the common shackle for
the shoulder belts. The cables run through small holes in the D bulkhead.
This raises the belt angle to approximately level from the shoulder to
seam attach.  I have a professional interest in the biomechanics of
aircraft injuries and have treated several pilots with head injuries
and spinal compression fractures.  I feel much better about my
approach than the factory standard. Of course the proof will be in the
pudding after a spike deceleration.

--------
Ira N224XS

Read this topic online here: