Re: Europa-List: A question on composits

Subject: Re: Europa-List: A question on composits
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:36:32

Hi Karel,

I was wondering now that you have put a little more time on your
airplane are you still happy with your modification?  Also, I am
curious about a few other things.

- Did you do this modification from the beginning, or after you had
been flying for a while. If yes, do you have any before / after
comparisons to share.
- How do you find this modification works on during a long taxi on a
hot summers day.
- Is the size of the inlet the same or smaller than the original
Europa design.  If smaller, can you give me your new square area ?
- It looks like your new inlet does not project as far forward as the
original Europa design, can you give me some measurements.
- Did you make your modification using Epoxy or vinyl-ester resin ?
- Is there any particular reason that you did not make large radius's
on the edges of the inlet.

I have two problems to solve, mine over heats if I have a long taxi
(CHT), or if Tower has me standing at the hold short line too long.
The other issue is that the aircraft (914) is capable to climb at more
that 1000 feet per minute all the way to 10,000 ~ 12,000', however the
oil overheats if I do more that 500' per minute.

If you have any more photos other that the 3 you  shared on the forum,
I'd appreciate it if you could send them on.

Thanks for indulging my long list of questions.

Regards,  Paul